Generation of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness Management knowledge to meet the challengers of the coconut industry.
|Head/Senior Agricultural Economist||Dr. I M S K Idirisinghe, PhD
(Tomas Bata University in Zlin, Czech Republic)
|Agricultural Economist||Ms. P M E K Pathiraja, BSc (Agric)
(University of Peradeniya, SL)
|Agricultural Economist||Ms. K V N N Jayalath, BSc (Agric)
(University of Peradeniya, SL)
|Experimental Officer||Mr. S D J N Subasinghe, Diploma in Agriculture|
|Lab & Field Assistant
||Ms. E G M U K Gamage|
|Lab & Field Attendant
||Miss W S S Fernando|
- Economic analysis of research recommendations
- Developing sustainable coconut – based income generating technologies for rural communities in Sri Lanka
- Assessment of economic losses due to pest and diseases for coconut
- Evaluation of the physical performance and functional efficiency of the coconut marketing system in Sri Lanka
- Examine the implication of climate change on coconut industry
- Identification of issues related to the coconut land fragmentation
- Labour issues in the coconut industry
- Exploring the potential of expanding coconut cultivation into urban and semi urban and non- traditional areas.
- Identification of needs of mechanization for coconut industry
- Evaluation of coconut development programmes
- Examine the economic impactions of indiscriminate land usage patterns
On-going Research and National Development Programs
- Impact assessment of use of Decorticating machine on coir fiber sector
- Value chain analysis for king-coconut sub-sector (2011-2012)
- Endogenous Tariff: Collecting and analysis of data for tariff changes on edible oils
- Identification of the implementation levels and implementation issues of the Government coconut fertilizer subsidy programme
- Estimation of the production, cost of production of coconut and major coconut products
- Identification of the level of protection and competitiveness of coconut industry
- Socio economic impact assessment of Weligama Coconut Leaf Wilt Disease
- Formulating the pricing policy for the coconut industry
- Conduct diagnostic survey to identify the research gaps related to the coconut
- Assessment of the effect of the climate change on coconut industry in Sri Lanka
- To identify the sustainability issues related to the agro-forestry systems in coconut growing areas
- Establishment of data bank on planting material, livestock and supporting credit facilities
- Establishment and maintenance of coconut based data bank for coconut industry
- Jayalath, K.V.N.N. and Arachchige, N. (2010), Financial analysis of frequency of release of Neoseiulus baraki for controlling Aceria guerreronis, Fifth Annual Research Forum, Sri Lanka Agricultural Economics Association, 17 December, 2010, University of Peradeniya, Peradeniya
- Jayalath, K.V.N.N., Pathiraja, P.M.E.K., Jayasinghe-Mudalige, U.K., Subasinghe, S.D.J.N. and Weerasinghe, W.G.P. (2009). Quest for Better Technology: Case of Brown Coir Fibre Industry in Sri Lanka, CORD, 25 (2): Pp. 24-34.
- Somasiri, S.C., Jayalath, K.V.N.N., Pathiraja, P.M.E.K. and Gunathilake, H.A.J. (2009). “Kapruka Ayojana” Loan Scheme for Rearing of Cattle/Buffalo under Mature Coconuts Report submitted to the Coconut Cultivation Board of Sri Lanka, Pp. 24.
- Bandara, B.M.D.P, Jayasinghe-Mudalige,U.K., Jayalath, K.V.N.N. and Pathirja, P.M.E.K. (2009). Assessing the Impact of Exchange Rate Volatility on Agricultural Exports: Case of Desiccated Coconut Industry in Sri Lanka, Sri Lankan Journal of Applied Statistics, Applied Statistics Association of Sri Lanka, 10: Pp. 105-118.
- Mangika, T.P.S., Jayasinghe-Mudalige, U.K., Jayalath K.V.N.N. and Pathiraja, P.M.E.K. (2009). Exploring the Efficiency of Coconut Production in Sri Lanka: Where the Lazy Man’s Crop Lies? Proceedings of 3rd Annual Research Forum of Sri Lanka Agricultural Economics Association, 21st December, 2009, Hector Kobbekaduwa Agrarian Research & Training Institute, Colombo 07.
- Jayalath, K.V.N.N., Pathiraja, P.M.E.K., Jayasinghe-Mudalige, U.K. and Fernando, M.T.N (2008). Effect of land size on productivity of coconut cultivations in Sri Lanka: An empirical investigation, In: Proceedings of the Second Symposium on Plantation Crop Research – Export Competitiveness Through Quality Improvements, N.P.A.D. Nainanayake and J.M.D.T. Everard (Eds.), Coconut Research Institute, Lunuwila, Sri Lanka, Pp. 368-376.
- Pathiraja, P.M.E.K., Fernando, M.T.N., Abeysekra, A.W.A.D.R. and Subasinghe, S.D.J.N. (2008). An assessment of labour availability in major coconut growing regions in coconut triangle, In: Proceedings of the Second Symposium on Plantation Crop Research – Export Competitiveness Through Quality Improvements, N.P.A.D. Nainanayake and J.M.D.T. Everard (Eds.), Coconut Research Institute, Lunuwila, Sri Lanka, Pp. 368-376.
- Pathiraja, P.M.E.K., Fernando, M.T.N., Jayasundera, J.M.M.A., (2008). Processing of Virgin Coconut Oil in Sri Lanka Using Cold Extraction Method: A Break-even Price Analysis, International Journal on Coconut Research & Development, Asia and Pacific Coconut Community, Jakarta, Indonesia, 24(1): Pp.79-89.
- Pathiraja, P.M.E.K., Jayalath K.V.N.N, Jayasinghe-Mudalige,U.K., H.P.T.D. Jayawardana, Weerawardana W.P.T.D. (2008). Fragmenting Coconut Lands In Sri Lanka: Do Owners Show “Adverse Selection” And “Moral Hazard” Behavior? Paper presented at the International Forestry Symposium held on 26th December, 2009, Kalutara, Sri Lanka.
- Jayalath, K.V.N.N., Jayasinghe, U.K., and Fernando, M.T.N. (2007). Price and production risk in coconut industry in Sri Lanka: A comparison with the leaders in the world market, In: First Annual Research Forum of Sri Lanka Agricultural Economics Association, 21st September, 2007, Faculty of Agriculture,University of Peradeniya, Peradeniya.
- Pathiraja, P.M.E.K., Fernando,M.T.N., Abeysekera, A.W.A.D.R., (2007). “Economics of Monthly Picking viz a viz Bimonthly Picking of Coconuts: An Economic Analysis", The Planter, Magazine of the Incorporated Society of Planters, Malaysia 83: Pp. 329-334.
- Pathiraja, P.M.E.K., Idirisinghe, I.M.S.K., Vithanaarachchi, V.A.R.P., Priyankara, G.G.D.S., Subasinghe, S.D.J.N. (2006). Evaluation of Samurdhi Coconut Development Programme 2005. Report submitted to the Coconut Cultivation Board of Sri Lanka after conducting a survey in 2006, Abstract published in 63rd Research Forum of Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science, 2007.
- Pathiraja, P.M.E.K., Fernando, M.T.N., Idirisinghe, I.M.S.K., Subasinghe, S.D.J.N., (2007). “Exploring the Potential for Home-gardening of Coconuts in Urban and Semi-urban areas of Sri Lanka – A case study” - In Sri Lanka Agricultural Economics Association 1st Research Forum held on 2007 September, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya, Peradeniya.