Support achieving the institutional goals by providing an effective, efficient library and information service to the scientists of the institute and to provide a specialized information service to all those engaged in research activities in the field of coconut cultivation and processing technologies.
|Librarian||Ms. P D U C Dharmapala, MSSc
(University of Kelaniya)
||Ms. S N Gunathilake|
|Office Attendant||Mr. R P S L Abeyratne|
Printed Reference Sources
A range of printed quick reference tools within the scope of science and technology with special emphasis on agriculture are available for reference. These cover directories, dictionaries, encyclopeadias, year books, maps, atlases, legal and governmental publications.
Electronic Reference Sources
Several electronic databases produces by the CRI library, local libraries and international commercial vendors are made available for consultation.
Full Text Electronic Online Journals
- Crop Protection Compendium - The Crop Protection compendium produced by the Commonwealth Agriculture Bureau International (CABI) which covers information (text, literature references, maps and illustrations) on over 1500 pests and natural enemies worldwide as well a for more than 150 crops and 150 countries. Efficient search tools are available for information retrieval.
- Electronic Databases - in-house databases
- Database on coconut
- Database on CRI staff publications
- Books - The library covers 5770+ books within its scope. Thee cover monographs, science and technical reports, conference proceedings, review series, pamphlets and theses on agriculture and allied fields.
- Journals - The library currently receives 35 periodical titles on a regular basis. 6 of these solely devoted to coconut while 7 are core journals of coconut. 10 science and agriculture related on-line journals providing access to their full text. The total number of titles covered by the complete library stock is 450.
The library's aim is to develop a highly specialized collection of literature on coconut. It covers both conventional and non-conventional literature accounting to 8000+ items. It is very comprehensive especially in tropical and regional literature within its scope. The collection covers monographs, manuscripts, theses, technical reports, circulars, patents, standards and specifications and parts of publications such as journal articles, individual papers read at conferences. Chapters of books etc,
- Searching the Special Collection - Several search tools are made available to assist searching the collection
- Literature up to 1935 - Bibliography by W V D Peries
- Literature from (1936 - 1976) - bibliography by Divakaran Pillai (compiled by an Indian scientists at the CPCRI)
- Literature from (1967- 1986) Bibliographical series on coconut (complied by the Coconut Research Institute Library)
- Literature from 1987 up to date - The computer database
The library further maintains a special collection of staff publications for reference purposes. A database 'staff' is maintained with very flexible searching facilities. The database further covers references to the contents of all the publication published by the Institute.
A collection of microfisches covering contents of CRI journals and a hig proportion of documents in the literature collection on coconut are maintained in the library. The main objective is to preserve the material. A microfische reader-printer is available to read the fisches. Facilities are available for printing necessary sections.