The mission of the Coconut Processing Research Division is to increase the income from coconut by improving the quality of the coconut products, reducing domestic wastage, value addition and product diversification.
||Dr (Ms.) L L W C Yalegama, PhD
|Research Officer||Ms. H A E Samaranayake, BSc
(University of Jayewardenepura, SL)
|Research Officer||Ms. H P D T Hewapathirana, BSc. (Agriculture)
Rajarata University of Sri Lanka
|Assistant Chemical Engineer||Ms. J A K M Fernando, BSc (Eng)
University of Peradeniya
|Experimental Officer||Ms. W P K K Fernando, BSc
(University of Peradeniya, SL)
|Experimental Officer||Mr. G.R.A. Dharmasena, BSc
(University of Kelaniya, SL)
|Experimental Officer||Mr. S S Rajapakshe, Diploma in Agriculture|
|Technical Officer||Ms. T M S G Weerasinghe, Diploma in Agriculture|
|Lab and Field Assistant||Ms. S H K G Kusumsiri|
|Lab and Field Assistant||Mr. S N Jayaweera|
|Lab and Field Assistant||Ms. W N M Fernando|
|Lab and Field Assistant||Mr. N A C Udayasiri|
|Lab and Field Attendant||Mr. H A G Jayawardene|
- Development of coconut paste to minimize coconut wastage at domestic level and to utilize the whole kernel for consumption.
- Improvement to copra drying and quality of copra
- Recovery of good quality oil from DC effluent and improvement to the vinegar generation.
- Identification of a medium for mass culturing the microorganisms responsible for retting process.
- Commercialization of Coconut paste and virgin coconut oil
On Going Research
- Improvements to the copra processing (Drying techniques, storage studies, ball copra making etc)
- Studies on nutritional and functional properties of defatted coconut kernel (coconut dietary fibre as health promoting additive)
- Development of various value added products from defatted coconut kernel
- Development of coconut water based products
- Improvement of the technology for reducing domestic wastage and to increase user convenience of coconut (coconut milk/ cream/paste for the domestic market)
- Improvements to the coconut oil production with special reference to the virgin coconut oil
- Development of gasifier unit to produce edible dried pulverized coconut kernel and high quality charcoal minimizing environmental pollution
- Extraction of edible coconut oil from D/C mill effluent and development of treatment process for mill effluent
- Fabrication of low cost, environmental friendly coconut shell strove for domestic use
- Manufacture of low cost and eco friendly coir cement composite boards for use as ceiling sheets
- Accelerating the retting process of coconut husk by use of consortium of micro orgamisms
Awards and Patents
- L.L.W.C. Yalegama was awarded presidential awards for research publication in 2015
- L.L.W.C. Yalegama received merit award for post graduate research for characterization and nutritional effect of cell wall polysaccharides from coconut kernel al SLAAS annual sessions in 2014
- J.M.M.A. Jayasundera, (Collaborators; U. Samarajeewa, C. Jayasekara and A.R. Kulathunga) were awarded the presidential award in 2007 for the work " Improved copra drying process and quality of copra" at the competition "Quality improvement of products, process and services" organized by National Science Foundation.
- K.D.P.P.Gunathilake, J.M.M.A. Jayasundera and C. Yalegama were awarded the commendation certificate at the competition "Best locally developed and transferred technology for the "Development of Coconut paste as an alternative for coconut milk in domestic use" organized by National Science Foundation in 2005.
- Long Storable Coconut Paste as an alternative for Highly Perishable Coconut Milk (2006) by K.D.P.P.Gunathilake, J.M.M.A. Jayasundera, C. Yalegama and C. Jayasekara Sri Lanka Patent No. 1338
- Coconut milk extraction machine by A.R. Kulathunga. Sri Lanka Patents No. 12731
- H.A.E. Samaranayake, S. Chackrewarthy, A.R. Wickremasinghe, M. G. Thammitiyagodage, R. Karunakaran, (2015) Determination of proximate composition of rat feed used at the Medical Research Institute, Sri Lanka, 2ndScientic Sessions,Sri Lanka Association for Laboratory Animal Science (SLALAS)
- H.A.E. Samaranayake, S. Chakrawarthy, R. Karunakaran, A.R. Wickremasinghe (2015) Effects of white coconut oil, virgin coconut oil and grated coconut on blood glucose and serum lipids in wistar rats", , Sri Lanka Medical Association 128th Anniversary International Medical Congress
- H.A.E. Samaranayake, M.G. Thammitiyagodage, B.P. Galhena, S. Chakrewarthy, A. R. Wickremasinghe (2015) Optimization of reverse transcriptase PCR for selected hepatic cytokines in Wistar Rats, , International Post Graduate Research conference 2015, University of Kelaniya.
- H A E Samaranayake, L L W C Yalegama and H P D T Hewapathirana (2015) Optimization of the osmotic dehydration process to prepare coconut chips and value addition of sweet coconut chips, , 71st Annual Sessions, Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science.
- H P D T Hewapathirana, L L W C Yalegama and H A E Samaranayake,(2015) Development of a ready-to-drink beverage from mature coconut water, 71st Annual Sessions, Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science.
- B.K.P. Balasooriya , H.P.D.T. Hewa Pathirana and O.D.A.N. Perera (2015), Developing a noval method to collect fresh coconut sap for the production of coconut sugar. Annual Research Symposium, Faculty of Livestock Fisheries and Nutrition Wayamba University of Sri Lanka, Pp 39.
- L.E.P.E. Wijewickrama, L.L.W.C. Yalegama and V.P.N. Prasadi (2015). Physico- chemical variations of copra stored under different conditions and its effect on oil quality. Annual Research Symposium, Faculty of Livestock Fisheries and Nutrition Wayamba University of Sri Lanka, Pp 38.
- L.L.W.C. Yalegama, R. Sivakanesan and D.N. Karunarathne (2015). Effects of coconut kernel residues on serum lipid concentration on serum lipid concentration of rats. 5th international conference of sabaragamuwa university of Sri Lanka, Berjaya Hotel , Colombo.
- L.L.W.C. Yalegama, M. Sovis and D. Dissanayake (2015). Effect of antioxidant and heat treatment on the free fatty acids formation of differently processes coconut oil. Cocos Journal of coconut research institute.21:01.13
- L.L.W.C. Yalegama, R. Sivakanesan, D.N. Karunarathne and C. Jayasekara (2014) Serum lipids concentrations of rats fed with soluble and insoluble fibre of coconut kernel. Proceedings of the Peradeniya University International Research Sessions, Volume 18.
- S. L. Panadura, L.L.W.C. Yalegama and A. J. Fernando (2014) Effect of drying efficiency on quality of coconut oil. 5th international, conference on sustainable built environment. 12 th – 15 th in Kandy, Sri lanka
- L.L.W.C. Yalegama, N. Karunaratne, R. Sivakanesan and C. Jayasekara (2014). In vitro binding capacity of coconut kernel fibre concentrates to Iron, copper and zinc at different pH levels. 5th Symposium on Plantation Crop Research, October 15th -17th 2014BMICH Colombo.
- D.D.I. Dhanushika, H.A.E Samaranayake,., A.J. Fernando, Kinetics of osmotic dehydration in coconut chips. 2014. Annual Research Symposium, Faculty of Agriculture, Rajarata University of Sri Lanka, pp 16.
- R.K.G. Rajakaruna, H.A.E. Samaranayake, M.G.P.P. Mahindarathne. Development of flavoured sweet coconut chips. 2014. International Research Session, Proceedings of Peradeniya University, Sri Lanka.
- L.L.W. C. Yalegama, D. NedraKarunarathne, Ramiah, Sivakanesan and Chitrangani Jayasekara (2013). Chemical and functional properties of fibre concentrates obtained from by- products of coconut kernel. Food Chemistry, 141: Pp124-130.
- Weerakoon, W.M.S.S.B.,Yalegama, L.L.W.C. and Fernandopulle, M.N.D. (2011). Evaluation of Copra Quality and Quantity of Weligama wilt Affected Coconuts, Proceedings of 11th Agricultural Research Symposium, Pp. 319-322.
- Jayasundera, M., Adhikari, B., Howes, T. and Aldred, P. (2011). Surface Protein Coverage and its Implications on Spray-drying of Model Sugar-rich Foods: Solubility, powder production and characterization, Food Chemistry, 128(4): Pp. 1003-1016.
- Jayasundera, M., Adhikari, B., Adhikari, R. and Aldred, P. (2011). The Effects of Proteins and Low Molecular Weight Surfactants on Spray Drying of Sugar-Rich Foods: Powder Production and Characterisation, Journal of Food Engineering, 104: Pp. 259-271.
- Jayasundera, M., Adhikari, B., Adhikari, R. and Aldred, P. (2011). The Effect of Protein Types and Low Molecular Weight Surfactants on Spray-Drying of Sugar-Rich Foods, Food Hydrocolloids, 25: Pp. 459-469.
- Yalegama, L.L.W.C., Karunaratne, N., Sivakanesan, R. and Jayasekara, C. (2010). Composition and metal binding capacity of cell wall polysaccharides extracted from coconut residue, Proceedings of the third symposium on Plantation Crop Research held on 30th September – 1st October, 2010 at Cinnamon Grand Hotel, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Buddhika, W.L.N., Perera, L.C.S., Suriarachchai, M.N. and Fernando, J.A.K.M. (2010). Development of coir fibre reinforced cement composite board, Proceedings of the third symposium on Plantation Crop Research held from 30th September to 1st October, 2010 at Cinnamon Grand Hotel, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Perera, T.H.S., Jayasinghe, M.C.N. and Yalegama, L.L.W.C. (2010). Determination of fatty acid profile in oil cake using gas chromatography technique, 3rd international symposium held from 26th August to 28th August at the Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka.
- Asanka, J.R.K., Jeewanthi, K.M.P. and Guanthilake, R.P.D. (2010). Oil recovery from desiccated coconut process water to produce value added coconut oil, Research symposium of Uva Wellassa University of Sri Lanka.
- Jayasundera, M., Benu, A., Adhikari, R. and Aldred, P. (2010). The Effect of Food-Grade Low Molecular-Weight Surfactants and Sodium Caseinate on Spray Drying of Sugar-Rich Foods, Food Biophysics, 5: Pp. 128-137.
- Jayasundera, M., Adhikari, B. and Aldred, P. (2010). Effect of sodium caseinate and LMS on spray drying of sucrose and fructose: Powder production and characterization, Proceedings of Annual Research Conference of University of Ballarat, Australia in November 2010.
- Jayasundera, M. and Adhikari, M. (2010). Effects of a dairy and a plant protein along with low molecular weight surfactants on spray-drying of sugar-rich foods, Proceedings of 2010 Chemeca, in Adelaide, Australia from 26th to 29th September 2010.
- Marikkar, J. M. N., Banu, M. K. I. and Yalegama, C. (2009). Evaluation of the modified – Ceylon copra kiln for accelerated production of ball copra, International Food Research Journal, 16: Pp. 175-181.
- Jayasundera, M., Adhikari, B., Aldred, P. and Ghandi, A. (2009). Surface Modification of Spray-Dried Food and Emulsion Powders with Surface-Active Proteins: A Review. Journal of Food Engineering, 93: Pp. 266-277.
- Jayasundera, M., Adhikari, B. and Aldred, P. (2009). The effect of proteins and surfactants on the spray-drying of sticky sugar-rich foods, 4th International Symposium on Spray Dried Dairy Products, 15-17th April 2009, Melbourne Convention Centre, Australia.
- Asanka, J.R.K., Amadoru, I.J. and Fernandopulle, M.N.D. (2009). Coconut shell biomass gasification with waste heat recovery technology to dry pulverized kernel for virgin coconut oil extraction, Agriculture Symposium, Wayamba University, Makandura.
- Marikkar, J.M.N., Jayasundera, J.M.M.A. Kumari, A.G.O. and Waidyarathna, K.P. (2008). A predictive model for determination of the iodine value of coconut oil by GLC analysis of component fatty acids, Int. J. Coco Res. Dev., 24: Pp. 21–28.
- Yalegama, L.L.W.C., Ambigaipalan, P. and Arampath, P.C. (2008). Physico-chemical and shelf life evaluation of pasteurized coconut milk, Proceedings of the Second Symposium on Plantation Crop Research, October 16-17, Bandaranayake Memorial International Conference Hall, Colombo.
- Darmasena, D.S.P., Yalegama, L.L.W.C., Fernandopulle, M.N.D. and Marikkar, J.M.N. (2008). Studies on increasing the keeping quality of cup copra, Proceedings of 8th Agricultural Research Symposium, Faculty of Agriculture and Management, Wayamba University of Sri Lanka, Makadura, Sri Lanka, Pp. 341-344.
- Banu, M.K.I., Marikkar, J.M.N., Fernandopulle, M.N.D. and Yalegama, C. (2008). Effect of kiln drying on ball copra formation, Proceedings of 8th Agricultural Research Symposium, Faculty of Agriculture and Management, Wayamba University of Sri Lanka, Makadura, Sri Lanka, Pp. 312-315.
- Fernando, J.A.K.M., Weerasinghe, T.M.S.G., Mallawaarachchi, S.M., Jayasekera, C. and Marikkar, J.M.N. (2008). Development of a technology for coir retting using consortium of micro organisms, Proceedings of the 2nd Symposium on Plantation Crop Research, October16-17, 2008, BMICH, Colombo, Pp. 45-52.
- Asanka, J.R.K., Prasangika, J.P.C., Marikkar, J.M.N. and Jayasundera, J.M.M.A. (2008). Production of pulverized kernel for virgin coconut oil extraction: Assessment on particle size distribution, drying curve pattern and quality characteristics, Proceedings of the 2nd Symposium on Plantation Crop Research, October 16-17, 2008, BMICH, Colombo, Pp. 327-335.
- Jayasundera, M., Adhikari, B. and Aldred, P. (2008). The effect of proteins and surfactants on the spray-drying of highly sticky sugar-rich foods, Proceedings of Annual Research Conference of University of Ballarat, Australia.
- Marikkar, J.M.N., Jayasundera, J.M.M.A., Rupanjali, A.P.D. and Fernandopulle, M. (2007). Effect of different levels of fortification of wheat flour with defatted coconut flour on the quality of fibre-enriched biscuits, Int. J. Coco Res. Dev., 23 (2): Pp. 16–27.
- Marikkar, J.M.N., Jayasundera, J.M.M.A., Prasadika, A.A.M., Jayasinghe, C.L.V. and Premakumara, G.S. (2007). Assessment of the stability of virgin coconut oil during deep-frying, Int. J. Coco Res. Dev., 23 (1): Pp. 62–70.
- Jayasinghe, J.A.A.K., Marikkar, J.M.N., Jayasundera, J.M.M.A. and Gajanayake, K.G.M.C.P.B. (2007). Exploring constraints and motivations of HACCP adoption in the virgin coconut oil and white edible copra industries of Sri Lanka, In proceedings of the 7th Agriculture Research Symposium of the Wayamba University of Sri Lanka, 23-24 October 2007.
- Marikkar J.M.N., Jayasundera, J.M.M.A., Fernando, S.R. and Peiris, T.S.G. (2006). Fortification of coconut oil with sesame oil through micro expeller extraction process, Int. J. Coco Res. Dev., 22: Pp. 15–22.
- Yalegama, L.L.W.C. and Chavan, J.K. (2006). Preparation of dietary fibre from coconut kernel, J. Food Sci Technology, 43(5), Pp. 491-492.
- Yalegama, L.L.W.C. and Chavan, J.K. (2006). Studies on utilization of coconut flour as a source of cell wall polysaccharides, Tropical Agricultural Research, 18, Pp. 126-134.
- Ekanayake, S., Marikkar J.M.N., Jayasundera, J.M.M.A. (2006). Effect of virgin coconut oil and essential fatty acids enriched virgin coconut oil on serum blood cholesterol level in Wistar rats, Proceedings of 61st Annual sessions of Sri Lanka Association for Advancement of Science.
- Marikkar, J.M.N., Ghazali, H.M., Che Man, Y.B., Peiris, T.S.G. and Lai, O.M., (2005). Distinguishing lard from other animal fats in admixtures of some vegetable oils using liquid chromatographic data coupled with multivariate data analysis, Food Chemistry, 90, Pp. 30-35.